Monday, August 30, 2010

What's Going on in There?

Kendall working a puzzle during some down time.  (I don't know what is wrong with this pic!)

Our bulliten board
Maddie reading a book.
Grace and Shadow working on some flash cards
I've had a few friends and family members ask me what it looks like when I am teaching school at home.  Do the kids have desks?  Is there a chalkboard?  Do they sit and write and do worksheets all day?  Well, I guess it's probably different for everybody.  We don't have desks.  First, there's no room for them and second I was never a big desk person when I taught public school.  The best way I can explain how I teach "school" to the kids is to say I teach it the same way I teach them anything.  When I taught Kendall and Grace how to fold laundry I didn't schedule a time to do it.  "Okay, from 8:00-8:15 we'll fold laundry".  I did it when I had laundry to fold.  We practice every time there's laundry until we master laundry folding skills.  Guess what?  Still not there yet.  :-)  So school work is similar.  I don't always have a great real life example to teach by, but we go with the idea of working it into our day instead of working our day around it.  We're on day 8, and so far so good with that theory.  Who knows?  Next month could be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment